Sunday, July 20, 2008

Patience by Kay Ryan

This week, a poem by the woman who was just named America's next poet laureate.


Patience

Patience is
wider than one
once envisioned,
with ribbons
of rivers
and distant
ranges and
tasks undertaken
and finished
with modest
relish by
natives in their
native dress.
Who would
have guessed
it possible
that waiting
is sustainable—
a place with
its own harvests.
Or that in
time's fullness
the diamonds
of patience
couldn't be
distinguished
from the genuine
in brilliance
or hardness.



Kay Ryan who teaches in Marin County, California, is the author of six books of poetry.

8 Comments:

Blogger andrew said...

beautiful poem. I like the rhyming of the word patience through out. And the rhythm. I also found it quite ironic - which I liked. The long sentences and rhythm made it seem as if what she had to say was being rushed. It made me think of the way I try to be patient but still often feel that I'm in a rush to get somewhere.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Nikhil Krishnan said...

That is very true. Probably the best definition of the word "Patience". I like this blog a lot. It is more like a poetry library. Good Job!!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

That was a lovely breath of beautiful air! Thank you.

PS - I see Batman on July 30th and I cant wait...

8:38 PM  
Blogger lilyy said...

wow. i'm so inspired by poetry.
i wish i could write poems like this.
poetry is like a living for me.
this poems expresses so much.
i need patience... haha.

10:13 PM  
Blogger man in painting said...

In our times
patience is the break time
between two bomb blasts...
i loved your poem
great blog..
me too blog.

11:57 PM  
Blogger *VoICe DrEaMs* said...

Hey I really like this poem :] great job :] can you read some of my blogs ?! :\ please..

thanks :]

11:42 AM  
Blogger disabled account said...

lovely rhythm. it's as though her words just spilled out and she couldn't stop their force.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow very nice very true

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home